Saturday, September 22, 2007

Franz Boas RIP



I am sad to report the death of Franz Boas, fantail goldfish. This afternoon, with Meghan and I nearby and African pop music playing, he finally gave in to the long and grueling illness that had plagued him for several weeks. This photo was taken just hours before his passing. He was at least 4 years old.

Greg and I bought Boas during the run up to the Iraq War. He had a "brother" named Hans Blix, who died of fin rot within weeks of his adoption. Boas made it through a move from Chicago to Burlington. He liked shrimp flakes, swimming through castles and sleeping. He was a great friend to Greg and me, and he will be missed.

After a brief viewing, Meghan and I buried Boas, wrapped in a leaf with milkweed, plantain and asters to help him on his journey to the big fish bowl in the sky.

Mostly, though, I am sad that Greg did not get to see him one last time, and I am sad that we are still at war and Boas is gone.

4 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger RAFIII said...

Gate GATE Paragate Boaz. I spent many nights with the Boaz. His soothing bubbles and gentle attitude usually took me right to deep sleep.

Peace to the King.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger andiscandis said...

I remember this little guy! He slept in my bathtub when you and Greg were moving! Too bad. Hasty ascent, buddy!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe it. Thought that goldfish would go forever. I am so sorry for the death of your pet. MOM

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Katy Fischer said...

I knew Boaz from day one. He was the best of the best. He was with us when we sent out our election postcards and there when the bad news came in! Peace to Boaz and his many older brothers and sisters from Petco who's torch he carried all these years!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home