Merce Cunningham - 1919-2009

I am reporting the news that last night Merce Cunningham died peacefully at his home in New York City. He remains a tremendously influential choreographer and for a time was the greatest living dancer. His artistic contributions are akin to those of Balanchine and Beckett. His partnership with John Cage created dynamic dance and music but also a model for living and working with those we love. He gave me a way into Cage's music, which has led me in turn to many of the things I hold most dear in life - Greg, open ears, Buddhism and wildflowers.
I can remember the first time I saw a film of Cunningham dancing: it was a reel-to-reel of Summerspace with Rauschenberg set and costume design. I was sitting in the Oberlin art library, watching it for my "Concept of the Avante Garde" class, and I fell totally in love.
I have had the privilege of seeing Cunningham's dance troupe perform 3 times, and I hope to see his pieces performed many more times. He was an amazing dancer - both wild and controlled, emotional and cerebral, totally animal, totally divine. May Merce Cunningham dance in peace.
1 Comments:
beautiful tribute mo!
Post a Comment
<< Home