Monday, January 11, 2010

Babycakes! I did it!

Greg got me the Babycakes cookbook for Christmas, and I have been really excited about baking something out of it. I told him I was gonna make every single thing in the book, and it's true! I will!!

To start with, how about vanilla cupcakes with vanilla icing!


On Sunday, I went to the coop and picked up a bunch of new and interesting ingredients. Potato starch? Soy milk powder? Xantham gum?

Luckily, the coop had everything I needed, so I was off to a good start. The batter was weird, like a science project that bubbled and wiggled. The chickpea flour did crazy things! And the raw batter tasted awful. I was a little concerned.

The icing was its own adventure. It came out a little runny, but now I know - add more soy milk powder. Generally speaking though, they looked like cupcakes:

And they tasted like cupcakes:

And they are so good for you - solid chickpea-coconut power! We ate two each! And look at that face - total cupcake enjoyment zone!

What recipe should I try next? I think since I have so much Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour stockpiled, it's teacake this weekend!

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger andiscandis said...

Is there a scone recipe in there? I love scones.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Linda said...

I don't think I can even find those ingredients down here....
Doug have all those things?

Miss you, MOM

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger emily said...

ooh i want to join you in this endeavor! those carrot cake cupcakes are bangin' as are the blueberry muffins!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Ben Vida said...

don't forget the b vitamins
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
want to send me a grocery list for your visit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home