Sunday, November 07, 2010

Happy Brother-Sister Day!


On Friday, I went to do some house visits with some Bhutanese farmers, and everyone was busy making festival food for Tihar. Chandra told me about the big day - today - which is Bhai tika, or as he put it, brother-sister festival day. Basically, sisters put Tika on the forehead of their brothers to ensure long life and thank them for their protection. Sisters perform puja for their brothers and pray for their long life. They draw a circle with grass around their brothers that no one including Yama can cross. Brothers bless their sisters with a happy life and give them money!

Chandra went on to say "All girls - no good. All boys - no good. Brother-sister - very good. Like a wife belongs to a husband, a brother belongs to a sister. That's why we put the Tika - so everyone will know I have a sister who loves me." So I say happy brother-sister day to you, my brother and sister, who I love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home